Thursday 14 August 2014

Valpolicella Racking, Stabilizing, and Degassing

Today, I racked, stabilized, and degassed the Valpolicella wine.  The kit instructions are to do this at day 14, but this is day 19.  I let the wine sit an extra five days because the fermentation was not quite complete at day 14.


After the usual sterilization of equipment, I transferred the wine to a clean carboy via autosiphon, without incident.  During this 'racking' step, I took a sample for a tasting.  Well, well, this is nice stuff.  This wine is dry and gentle.  There are woody and nutty tones with a hint of almond.  The tannins are noticeable at the end.  I have hopes for a very nice table wine that will pair well with pasta dishes.

Tasting.  Note-taking is important when it comes to stuff like this.


The specific gravity was 0.990.  From the starting point, this gives approximately 16% alcohol.  Yes, it's pretty dry.


The next step is the addition of potassium metabisulfite, which is provided with the kit.  Out of curiosity, I used my little portable balance to measure the mass of K2S2O5.  The mass of K2S2O5 was 4.4 g.  For comparison, I weighed a Campden tablet.  It was 0.6 g.  The recommended use of Campden tablets is 1 tablet per gallon of wine.  This is a 23 L kit, which is about 6 gallons.  6 gallons x 0.6 g per gallon = 3.6 g worth of Campden tablets.  So, this amount isn't too far off.

When you add the K2S2O5 to the wine, SO2 gas is formed (see picture).    The chemistry of this step is quite straightforward, and one of these days I'm going to write a blog post about it.

SO2 bubbles.  You can get rid of the excess gas by stirring vigorously.

After the K2S2O5, I added potassium sorbate and then a small packet of kieselsohl.  Tomorrow, I complete the addition of clarification agents, and then I wait three weeks until bottling.

No comments:

Post a Comment