Friday 19 September 2014

Apple Wine Racking & Tasting

It was just under three weeks ago that I racked the apple wine into a carboy where it could ferment to dryness.  At that time, I added three cinnamon sticks to add some flavour.  The bubble rate died off after a week, but there has been a low level of activity since then, with tiny bubbles forming on the surface.  This could be outgassing or maybe even the result of malo-lactic fermentation (MLF).  There is a lot of malic acid in apples, so MLF would not be surprising.  Today, I decided it was high time to rack it and perform a taste test.

I siphoned the wine into a clean carboy and added two crushed Campden tablets.  During the siphoning, I dispensed a small amount into a glass.  After stirring the wine to remove sulfur dioxide, measuring the specific gravity, and installing an air lock, I sat down with my notebook, pen, and glass of apple wine.

This is the best wine I have made to date.  The bouquet was of obviously of apple, but there was a hint of pear.  The taste was simply delicious and mild.  I was surprised at how much body it had, given that the ingredients were so simple.  There was hint of butter, which suggests that there may have been some MLF.  The cinnamon flavour was very mild, and in the background.  I only really noticed it at the end.  It confers a subtle amount of spicy 'heat' to the wine.  The acidity was just right.  I tasted it at room temperature, and I suspect it would be even nicer when chilled.

Tasting and the taking of notes.
For me, as a scientist and chemist, it is a joy to sit down with a new wine I have never tasted, and taste it carefully and slowly, with the intent to observe as much as I can.   A certain oenophile colleague of mine once pointed out how satisfying it is to try to describe what you see, smell, and taste.  Wine tasting is a lot more fun when you really slow down and pay attention to the complex mix of aromas and flavours that you experience in your nose and mouth.  A wine tasting wheel is a great help for this.

(As the wine isn't quite finished yet, this may be premature, but thanks to +Bob Perkins and +Pete Bottiglier for some of the tips you shared that I followed with this apple wine.  To your health!)
  

No comments:

Post a Comment